Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Supporting LGBTQ Students and LGBTQ History.

My plan for this group will involve the reading of two books:

1) LGBT Youth in America's schools by Jason Cianciotto and Sean Cahill:
This book deals with school policies towards LGBT students, and seeks to send educators and administrators in the way to be supportive and what are the best practices. It also relates the stories of several students and their experiences in schools. I notice they left off the Q here, so if the book feels incomplete there are a few other books that can perhaps supplement my learning with a third book. The goal would be to make my classroom a more welcoming place.

2) Understanding and Teaching US Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender History Edited by Leila J. Rupp and Susan K. Freeman. This is a collection of essays that are designed to help teachers integrate more LGBT history into their classrooms. I would try to incorporate some of this newfound knowledge into my own curriculum.

In addition, I'd be willing to look into guest speakers for those who might find it helpful to learn more about supporting LGBTQ students. While obviously I would not book anyone, I can at least provide some names to the administration if they feel like this topic merits it.

If anyone thinks that sounds interesting to them, feel free to talk to me about joining this group.

No comments:

Post a Comment